When we ask kids what they like most about Neurofeedback, they say it helps them make friends. They also talk about being able to learn more easily and & say brain training "is fun!" (Brain training is fun for grown-ups, too.)
Many children outgrow ADHD, but some carry it into adulthood. Fortunately, we can help.
A child’s mind is steeped in possibility, creativity, curiosity and wonder–so is the adult mind that has been freed from old constraints.
ADHD, formerly ADD, includes symptoms like inattentiveness, impulsivity, and hyperactivity, and those symptoms differ from person to person. An ADHD brain may be excessively active when it should be calm, or under-stimulated when it should be focused. Most of the ways in which the brain gets off-track or becomes dysregulated are short lived and the brain auto-corrects in a short time. But, when it doesn’t, that can lead to dysfunctional brainwave states and subsequent undesired symptoms and emotional states related to ADHD.
Neurofeedback can help an individual with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) retrain their brain and recover optimum neural functioning. In other words, neurofeedback improves focus and diminishes impulsivity, distractability, and hyperactivity. This is great news for so many people.
- Alarming statistic time! One out of 88 children ages 6-10 have been diagnosed with ADHD. Seventy percent or more of those children with ADHD grow up to be adults with ADHD.
- ADHD is more common in boys, whose impulsivity and hyperactivity may appear as disruptive behavior whereas, girls with ADHD may not be hyperactive, impulsive, or disruptive. Instead, girls tend to daydream, have trouble following instructions, and make careless mistakes on homework and tests. Girls can be very good at hiding their struggle, making it even harder to identify the problem. All of these ADHD challenges can carry right into adult life.
- In 2012, The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) upgraded neurofeedback’s effectiveness to Level One — the same rating given to medications for ADHD. (Neurofeedback is also effective in adults.)
- While many kids with ADHD outgrow it, about 70% carry it into adulthood. Adult ADHD seems to affect men and women equally.
- Classic symptoms such as inattention, impulsivity and hyperactivity often remain and have a significant impact on various aspects of adult life.
- If you have adult ADHD, you may find it hard to:
- Follow directions
- Remember information
- Organize tasks
- Finish tasks and projects
- Keep a job
- Maintain relationships
A clinical trial conducted by Vincent Monastra and colleagues in 2002 revealed that neurofeedback training outperformed medication in the treatment of ADHD. One hundred children diagnosed with ADHD were enrolled in the study. For one year, all of them were treated with medication (Ritalin), while half had their treatments supplemented with neurofeedback training. Immediately after the 1-year treatment period, the Ritalin-only group showed moderate improvement in the behavioral symptoms of ADHD while showing no improvement in patterns of brain activity associated with the ability to focus attention. However, children treated with medication and neurofeedback training showed significant improvements in both behavior and brain activity patterns. Interestingly, one-week post-treatment, the beneficial effects of the neurofeedback-supplemented regimen persisted, while that of medication alone did not.
“We didn’t like the medication route. We looked for alternatives, and found Dr JoJo. We have been able to take our son off the medication.”
I couldn’t be more pleased with the services that I received from Asheville brain training with Dr. JoJo. My son has ADHD and ODD and extreme anxiety. I was at my complete wits end whenever I found Asheville brain training. A 30 minute ride in the car with my son was almost unbearable. After trying medications for years and not seeing any real results. I turn to Dr. JoJo. After six months I can drive in the car with my son on long-distance trips and not have a complete meltdown. He can sit in class and concentrate far better than he ever could on medication. I’m happy I feel like I finally got my child back. I personally got the zyto scan done while I was there and found out I was deficient in several vitamins. I highly recommend this place.