Asheville Brain Training made a difference for a student with ADHD in my classroom.
When we ask kids what they like most about Neurofeedback, they say it helps them make friends.
Children with ADHD have trouble functioning at home and in school and can have difficulty making and keeping friends.
A child’s mind is steeped in possibility, creativity, curiosity and wonder. But when he starts showing signs of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) (or a learning challenge — or both) — what then?
ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) was formerly called ADD, or attention deficit disorder. Symptoms include inattentiveness, impulsivity, and hyperactivity. The symptoms differ from person to person. An ADHD brain may be excessively active when it should be calm or under-stimulated when it should be focused. Most of the ways in which the brain gets off track or becomes dysregulated are short lived, and the brain autocorrects over a short time. But, when it doesn’t…. that can lead to dysfunctional brain wave states and subsequent undesired symptoms and emotional states related to ADHD.
Neurofeedback can help people with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) to retrain their brain and recover optimum neural functioning. In other words, focus improves and impulsivity, distractibility, and hyperactivity diminish.
- Alarming statistic time: 70% or more of children with ADHD grow up to be adults with ADHD.
- The average age of children diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is 7.
- ADHD is more common in boys, whose impulsivity and hyperactivity may appear as disruptive behavior whereas, girls with ADHD may not be hyperactive, impulsive, or disruptive. Instead, they tend to daydream, have trouble following instructions, and make careless mistakes on homework and tests. They may even hide their condition, or try to make up for their difficulties, because they’re too embarrassed to ask for help. And that makes identifying their ADHD harder.
- In 2012, The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) upgraded neurofeedback’s effectiveness to Level One — the same rating given to medications for ADHD.
- While many kids with ADHD outgrow it, about 70% still have it as adults. Adult ADHD seems to affect men and women equally.
- Classic symptoms such as inattention, impulsivity and hyperactivity often remain and have a significant impact on various aspects of adult life.
- If you have adult ADHD, you may find it hard to:
- Follow directions
- Remember information
- Organize tasks
- Failure to finish
- Keep a job
- Maintain relationships
A clinical trial conducted by Vincent Monastra and colleagues in 2002 revealed that neurofeedback training outperformed medication in the treatment of ADHD. One hundred children diagnosed with ADHD were enrolled in the study. For one year, all of them were treated with medication (Ritalin), while half had their treatments supplemented with neurofeedback training. Immediately after the 1-year treatment period, the Ritalin-only group showed moderate improvement in the behavioral symptoms of ADHD while showing no improvement in patterns of brain activity associated with the ability to focus attention. However, children treated with medication and neurofeedback training showed significant improvements in both behavior and brain activity patterns. Interestingly, one-week post-treatment, the beneficial effects of the neurofeedback-supplemented regimen persisted, while that of medication alone did not.
I couldn’t be more pleased with the services that I received from Asheville brain training with Dr. JoJo. My son has ADHD and ODD and extreme anxiety. I was at my complete wits end whenever I found Asheville brain training. A 30 minute ride in the car with my son was almost unbearable. After trying medications for years and not seeing any real results. I turn to Dr. JoJo. After six months I can drive in the car with my son on long-distance trips and not have a complete meltdown. He can sit in class and concentrate far better than he ever could on medication. I’m happy I feel like I finally got my child back. I personally got the zyto scan done while I was there and found out I was deficient in several vitamins. I highly recommend this place.